Steve’s DIY Project #1.

Hi everyone and welcome to something sort of new for Steve’s Country. Though I did do a DIY before but hopefully I will be a bit more regular with some ideas. Perhaps once a month anyway. Today’s DIY is really something for fall which I wanted to post a month ago, but this and that came along and it never happened. So, fall being done up here in the north, it seems a bit odd to post this, however, fall is still happening in some places so I’m not completely out of date. But it will show what a person can do for decorating that doesn’t really have much, if any, cost to it. Mostly I only used items I had on hand, leftover things from other projects and only bought one new item to use, the urethane to spray it with at the end. So, here we go… First I gathered up some scrap pieces of wood I had laying around and then glued them together.

I also used some small 3/4 inch finishing nails to hold it together a bit better, helps until the glue dries. Then I did a bit of sanding with some fine sandpaper, which I always have on hand. It only requires a little sanding, by hand. No major electrical tools needed here with this project.

Then I painted it with a yellow acrylic paint, only one coat as I wanted the grain of the wood to show. I chose a light yellow since it is a fall project and it fits nicely with the balsam cones I used. After the paint was good and dry I sanded it a bit to really allow the grain to show nicely. On one of my walks I picked up some balsam cones to use for this project, shown above. Balsam trees are like spruce trees, though they really smell much nicer. And they always produce lots of cones. I picked out the ones I wanted and placed them on the wood making out the words “Happy Fall”.

I just did this free hand because I was looking for a nice home made look sign. Then I used some wood glue, which I have on hand always as well, to glue them all in place.

I have mine inside for people to see when they come in.

I let this dry until the next day then took it outside to spray it with urethane for added protection and give it a bit of a shine too. I used a glossy finish urethane. This is not good to use indoors, always use outside. Once dry I glued some colorful plastic leaves on it and there it is. All finished and the only cost was the urethane, but there’s lots of that left for other projects too, so the cost is really very little. It can be set outside or used indoors. Hope you enjoyed this easy little project, have a wonderful day and God bless!

Steve and Muffin.

Β©2020 Steve McLeod.

59 Comments on “Steve’s DIY Project #1.

  1. Wow, Steve, you just amazed us 😍 You got so much skills, wow, now I see why you get sore πŸ€”β˜ΊοΈThis is a fantastic work for fall. πŸ’

    I can’t be around lately, I’m sorry, I had to take care of a serious thing now, and I’ll be offline for few days.πŸ₯Ί I’ll tell you when I feel better. Have a lovely week Steve πŸ€—πŸ€—

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: